The ability to send links by email relies on your own email client, as this is the best way to ensure deliverability of email to your customers and prospects, and to make sure your own brand is front and center when communicating with prospects.
If you use a desktop-based email client, you should likely not need to modify any settings, but for troubleshooting, see below.
If you use common web-based email clients like Gmail or Google Workspace or Outlook in your browser, we also have a simplified way to choose to use these web-based email clients for yourself and all other users on your account, see the second section below.
Desktop-based email client
The default setting when you first create your CrankWheel account, is to use the email client that is configured as the default email handler on each account user's individual computer. For users who use a separate email program, this setting will usually already be set.
To use the default email client, visit the Email configuration page on the CrankWheel dashboard, and choose the option "Use presenters' default mail client". You can click the Test button to see if this works for you, and you can click Submit to save this setting for all users on your account.
If the default email client is not opening for you, or for some of the other users on your account, here are instructions for Windows and for Mac on how to set the default email client:
On Windows 7 through 10, first go to Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs > Set Associations. Then, click on "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". Now scroll down to the Protocols section, look for the MAILTO row, and double-click on it. You should now be able to select an email client of your choice, one that is already installed on your computer.
On Windows 11, go to Control Panel > Apps > Default Appss > Then scroll down and click on "Choose defaults by link type". Now scroll down to the Protocols section, look for the MAILTO row, and click on it. You should now be able to select an email client of your choice, one that is already installed on your computer.
On Mac, open the Mail app and go to Preferences > General. Now pick the email program that you want to set as the default using the Default email reader popup. Even if you want to use a program other than the built-in Mail app as the default email handler, you need to get to these preferences by first starting the Mail app.
To always use a web-based email client, you or an administrator on your account should access the Email configuration page on the CrankWheel dashboard, and choose one of the following:
- For Gmail, select the "Use Google Mail / Gmail" option. You can click the "Test" button to see if a test email correctly gets created. Then click Submit to save the configuration for all users.
- The above configuration will also work for Google Workspace users, but is not guaranteed to create the email in the correct Gmail account, if you are using a multi-account setup (for example, you might have a personal Gmail account and a corporate Google Workspace account, both active in the same browser). To explicitly specify which Google Workspace account to use, you can select the option "Use Google Workspace with custom domain", then enter your corporate email domain such as "example.com" (this will typically be the bit after the @ sign in your own corporate email address). You can click the "Test" button to see if a test email correctly gets created. Then click Submit to save the configuration for all users.
- For web-based Outlook, choose the option "Use web-based Outlook" and click Test to see if an email gets correctly created in your email client, and then Submit to save the configuration for all users on your account.
- Some companies use a custom domain for web-based Outlook. This is commonly your main email domain (the bit after the @ sign) with "mail." in front of it, for example if your email address would be "email@example.com" then the most likely domain for web-based Outlook would be "mail.example.com". To use a custom domain with web-based Outlook, select the option "Use web-based Outlook with custom domain", enter your custom email client domain, and then Test and finally Submit to save the configuration for all users on your account.
- If you use none of Gmail, Google Workspace or Outlook, but you are using another web-based email client and you can figure out a URL that will create a new email in your client with a particular To address, subject line and body, then you can use the advanced option "Use fully custom value (advanced)". When you choose this option, you will see that in the URL you insert, you can put a few replaceable fields (for the To address, subject line and email body) into the URL you specify. You can click Test to test the URL you have created, and if all is working well, click Submit to save the configuration for all users on your account.
Now that you've configured your default mail link handler, when you click "Email" in CrankWheel it should open up a ready email in your default email client, that you can simply send, or edit at will before sending.
If you need further assistance, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.